Sunday, April 20, 2008

Be forewarned


This entry is about menstrual stuff and it’s not sugar-coated with cutesy terms. read on if your fine with it.

Today (Sunday) was my first day using the Moon Cup for REAL. Not just a dry run to practice getting it in and out.

My period was on the calendar to start Monday and the last 2 times I have been a day or two late. I actually put the Moon Cup in on Saturday for one last test run. All was fine. The weird thing about dry runs is the cup catches other bodily fluids. When I took the cup out in the early evening I noticed the contents were very slightly blood-tinged. Now, my period hadn’t started. (Nothing on the TP after using the john). I wondered if that was a precursor to my period starting. I check again right before bed- no period still.

I decided to put the cup in on Sunday as it might be nice to not be surprised by the start. I don’t spot the day before or anything- no warning signs. I just START full force.

Well, when I woke up Sunday morning it was already too late for a pre-emptive strike. So I washed up, inserted the cup. All went fine.

2 hours later I took a shower. The paperwork all says about 8 hours between needing to empty the cup. It was only 2. But I figured in the shower was a good place to try. All was fine, no problems. Except that the cup was already about halfway full!

So I checked the cup 4 hours after I put it back in. it was already full and about to overspill!


So Far- I like that I don’t feel the wadded up cotton packaging up there. I like that I don’t have strings that dangle in the stream of urine. I like that I don’t feel it at all and it doesn’t have that dry scratch going in or out. And for my first day, going 4 hours is twice as long as I can go when on tampons.

It was 3.5 hours between removals next time. And it was to the rim again. Not to the VERY TOP, but to the bottom edge of the rim.

Hopefully tomorrow I can go even longer between emptying. And I have to call my Gyno 1st thing in the morning as I planned a PAP without realizing I’d be ‘On the Cup’.

I haven’t mentioned the cup to my husband. Probably won’t. If he figures it out, he figures it out. I’ve never talked about menstrual stuff with him.







.

10 comments:

Stacie said...

On the first 2 days of my period, which are the hardest, I can NEVER go 8 hours! Maybe four, max! But today, the 4th day, I put it in this morning and didn't check it until this evening - half full. So I'd say all is going well.

Audie doesn't like to talk too much about menstrual stuff, but he knows about the keeper. He's cool with it.

Melissa said...

I have never even heard of this cup. What is it made out of? Is it comfortable?

Sheila said...

Fantastic stuff, that's awesome it's working out so well for me! I must flow really light, because I can leave my cup even 24 hours (though I never do) and it still would be only just barely close to half full! Crazy. Amazing how differently designed we all are, hey?

mmrussianadoption: Most of these cups are made from silicon, except for the Keeper, which is made from rubber. And YES it is comfortable. You can't feel it at all once it's 'up there'. :)

earthlingorgeous said...

me too haven't even heard of this cup.... I only use pads lol... not even like the tampons :P

and my hunny not like talking about mesntrual stuffs too lol

Robin Baker - The Blessed Hippie said...

I was cracking up reading this post - mainly because my husband was sitting next to me reading right along and looking sort of green! I've never heard of the cup - good to know. I hate tampons!

Smarty Pants said...

oh, brave woman... I don't know if I will ever try the cup, though it has crossed my mind several times over the last few years...especially when the super plus plug last 45 minutes tops on the first few days of my hellish moon. Arg!
On other topic-- Etsy... it's a site to buy and sell handmade. Check out my shop http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5591535

Sofie said...

Good sequel:)
Can the cup be used at night?
Maybe I should try this out once I get my period back.
Have a good week!
S

Carrie said...

Thanks for you comment on my blog. I hope I don't have to worry about period stuff anytime soon, although it will probably all come back in a month or two since my baby is almost 6 months now. Don't know what I'll use when that time comes, I have never heard of these cups but I am glad to know there is another option.

A Bishops Wife said...

I have never heard of this new product--EVER. I am 46 years old and out dated I guess.

I have never heard of it.

Lynn said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog last night. New readers are special treasures -- as are, of course, those who've been around awhile.

You have a great start to your blog. I'm always encouraged greatly when I come upon one where the author is unapologetically Christian.

Thankfully, I'm past the days of needing the cup. Although, I'll have to say it does sound like a radically wonderful idea -- one I may discriminately share with some of my younger friends.

You've already had some great traffic for your short time blogging. I'm sure that's an indication of a great future ahead. I'll be looking forward to what you will have to sharing, believing the information will be timely and helpful.

Blessings to you and your family.