Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hitting the TRAILS!

We went hiking at the narrows today. It's a nature reserve by a river. Lots of fossils and shelf fungi.

I packed food. bacon sandwiches and apples and watermelon and Organic cranberry lemonade from Trader Joes.


I made trailmix for us. Into a large plastic bowl I put sesame sticks (Trader Joes), Dry Roasted almonds (Trader Joes), whole grain pretzel nuggets (T.J.),all natural yogurt covered raisins and choc chips. Trader Joes stuff is either organic or at least all natural.

I love getting snack foods from Trader Joes. Their natural/organic chips, crackers, cookies, nuts and dried fruits.

I just ate a Trader Joes Fiberful Fruit Leather. A regular berry fruit leather with 6 grams of fiber.

My kids love trailmix. but usually I let them make their own bag. Because, of course, one boy likes cashews best and one likes yogurt covered raisins best & one likes the almonds and pretzels the best. (well, best after the choc chips). This time, one was napping and the other 2 were at Kung Fu, so I just made it. They all sat and traded ingredients before heading out to hike.

There was a flood here a few weeks ago so it was fun to see what the trails and plant life looked like post flood. There was silt debris hanging from the trees where the flood went up high.

4 comments:

Stacie said...

I love hiking and homemade trail mix! I too am fussy about the ingredients. I never found a Trader Joes in NYC, but maybe I can order stuff online...

Lynn said...

Sounds like you had a great day with your family!

We purchase bulk items through a food co-op. If cashews (for instance) come in a 5 or 10 pound box, several people are able to split the case and save $$ on our purchases. For those who do not have a Trader Joes nearby or would just like other purchasing options you might check these out.

Our purchases are done through a local affiliate group of www.unitedbuyingclubs.com I believe there are also several others around the country. At least one of them most likely has a group close to your home.

Lynn said...

Just to clarify in the preceding comment. . . other organizations like United Buying Clubs are in different parts of the country. . . so if United doesn't have a group in your locale, "google it" and see what other clubs may be available that may have a group close to you.

NoJo said...

My mom bought through a local co-op like that. I keep telling myself to look for one, but haven't. Maybe I'll get around to it after we move. thanks for the reminder