Sunday, April 20, 2008

Dispel the Myths

My brother’s girlfriend is a Hippy-Wanna-Be/Wiccan. About 4 yrs ago she invited me to an in home sales thing. It was mommy/baby products. Natural fiber nursing pad, natural baby toys. Natural Fiber menstrual pads, organic diaper rash ointment. And of course, the Menstrual Cup.
What a nasty, icky idea it seemed. A little ‘rubber’ cone you insert to catch your blood.

Fast forward 2.5 yrs. A chick on a small message board I was a member of talked about getting one of these cups. She was pretty ‘crunchy’ –in my mind. She ate organic food, had clothes of all natural fibers, and had that ‘hippy look’. She would walk to the local Farmer’s Market. Natural Childbirth, breastfeeding and al that jazz.

She told of her new experience with her Diva Cup and the messy fingers, etc. Then she told us how she fed her menstrual blood to her plants. And how well her plants did! Well, that was grossly weird enough to dispel the heebie-jeebies of using the Cup in the first place. But there was still a mystical ickiness surrounding the idea of a Blood Cup.

Her name is Shel. She was great, I miss reading her blog. Not sure what happened to her. I remember when she told us about her husband penis piercing. He had about 10 rings pierced through the ‘seam’ all up his shaft.

Well, for the past 2-3 yrs tampons have been even more annoying. And they get worse and worse each month. I feel them up there, like a big ol’ wad of cotton crammed up a bloody nose. Cotton packaging. This is pretty much what it is; cotton wadding with cancer causing chemicals. The pressure is so annoying; I feel it up in there. And sometimes it hurts.

And the first day or two it’s Okay removing, but then it hurts and feels like it’s ripping tissue when I pull it out. That combined with feeling it up there makes me worry about TSS the whole week.

And the dangly string is just annoying, esp when it’s urinated upon. It’s painful or anything, just ickily annoying.

Last month I started feeling very achy about the second day of my period- mainly my legs. Well, leg aches in on the TSS symptom list. And I had this general weak feeling and headaches. Turns out it was just from my very first pilates class, but it gave me quite a scare. (well, I always seem to get headaches- it was probably just menstrual stuff and allergies)

So, I decided to try buy my own Blood Cup- Maybe that makes ME the Hippy-Wanna-Be
….. To Be Con’t

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh dear! I hope you find some relief and success with whatever method you end up using.....

Thank you for taking the time to visit Simply Pink and I hope you come back again soon!

Many Blessings,
M.

Rosjuane said...

Glad you stopped by!! Keep reading I love new readers!!

Sofie said...

hej nojo!
thanks for stopping by my blog!
your entry has an interesting topic. as you might know I am soon to deliver a baby and havent actually thought about my period in 9 months, so I got a good reminder that I will soon be tossed into this feminine adventure soon again:) I too have wondered how those cups work, I'l stop by againt to read the sequel to this entry.
all the best to you! welcome blogging!
S

Margrethe said...

Adding you to my RSS-feed.

Margrethe said...

Rare coincidence :) Nice to have a new aspie on my list. :P

RSS-feed is perhaps not accurate. I've added you to my RSS-reader, which download entries when they're posted (it checks all pages I've added ever 2 hours to check for new ones) so that I don't have to check manually.

Stacie said...

keeter, what a great post! i hope you make many people aware of the menstrual cups, and even make them realize how great they are, unless of course you hate it. in that case, maybe i'll have to tell them all how much i love my keeper.

i hate tampons for all the same reasons you do!

i admit, i'm a hippie-wanna-be, but i'll never use my blood to feed my plants!

Caro said...

Nice blog (yep, I'm here from the menstrual cup comm on LJ), and fun posts. I'll be keeping an eye on this if you don't mind ^^

Also, I'm actually a non-hippie cup user. Imagine that! :O