Monday, April 21, 2008

In between the lines

Liners, actually. I am somewhere in between disposable liners and reusable liners in my thinking. Panty liners. Not ocean liners.
(don't forget to read the 2 previous entries as this is just a con't of those)

Moon Cup Trial entry #3
Last night was my first overnight cup use. I was a bit nervous, which caused to wake a few times. I am not a light sleeper, but when I have something to do first thing in the morning, esp early, I often wake a few times in anticipation. I had a pantyliner for backup and decided to not go check even when I woke up at 4 AM. And 6 AM. I was up at 8Am and did my thing. No leaking, but a full cup. So that was good. Great even. With tampons I wear a liner and a super at night and still leak. In fact the first night I wake up around 4AM and have to go change my tampon. And then I still have a lot of leaking. On night 2 I have leakage in the morning. So I am happy to not have to deal with that morning mess.

And I couldn’t feel it. I can always feel the tampons at night. (day, too usually).




I need a liner with the cup. At least for the first day or two due to the heaviness of my flow those first 2 days. And I have noticed I get a teeny bit of discharge just from residual blood up there after I insert the cup. Even if the cup catches everything that comes down, there was already stuff in the passageway.



I had thought worse of reusable panty liners than I had of a menstrual cup. The cup is rubber , you dump and rinse. Wash well at the end of the cycle.
A reusable pad seemed worse in thought. Blood-soaked fabric that needs to be washed out seemed like more of a pain. Then I got to thinking.

I don’t get fair warning. I never knew ladies did until recently. My period just starts full flow, but usually first thing in the morning, so it’s not too bad. But that means each month I have bloody panties or even sheets because I almost never think to wear a pad the time surrounding when I’m supposed to start. But I hate pads.

So I now figure, washing a panty liner can’t be that much different than washing those first day panties. And that’d be one less thing going into landfills.

I think I’ll buy a couple, and then think of making my own when we move and I get my sewing machine set up again.

Another line of thought on this topic is when my husband will notice, if ever. At first I figured he may not ever. It’s not like he asks about these things. Then I realized he probably will notice as the bathroom trashcan isn’t filled with adhesive backing from liners and tampon applicator packaging. That is usually his clue. Now, will it even occur to him when it’s been 4 or 5 months and there have not been these tell tale signs in the trash can?

Reusable Pad/pantyliner Links:

www.gladrags.com/
www.moonpads.com/
www.lunapads.com/
http://partypantspads.com/
http://www.newmoonpads.com/
http://www.momandmepouch.com/clothwelcome.html

Other Links:
Make Your Own: http://www.borntolove.com/d-list7-make.shtml
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloth_menstrual_pad

I find it entertaining- all the different things in Wikipedia

4 comments:

Stacie said...

i just bought some from gladrags.com yesterday. i won't be able to use them for 20 or so days, but when i do i'll let you know what i think...

Amy said...

I tell ya men have it so easy. Make a man have their period and the world would change completely

Megan L. said...

I love cloth pads/liners. They are awesome!

Megan L. said...

I bought mine from etsy.com. A website where people from everywhere sell homemade products. Just search for cloth liners/pads and you should find plenty of options there.

And I agree, Pastor Tommy told me to also look at how I can serve my Church, so I'm going to do my best with that.